Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra seeks a dynamic and experienced Director of Marketing to lead organizational initiatives that will ensure audience engagement while maximizing earned revenue. The ideal candidate will bring the ambition and proven track record to strategically promote the season, while always strengthening the connection between audiences and Tafelmusik’s mission. This role requires a savvy and collaborative relationship builder to ensure Tafelmusik is effectively communicating its offerings and values to the Toronto and worldwide baroque loving public while ensuring cohesion among internal staff and artists in service of these campaigns.
As we continue to re-emerge and reunite with our audiences after the height of the pandemic, the Director of Marketing will be focused on mobilizing our formidable assets to drive ambitious sales and attendance goals of all the seasons programs and other events and programming. The role reports directly to the Interim Executive Director and works closely with Tafelmusik’s Artistic Committee, senior staff, including Operations and Artistic Administration, Production, Development, Audience Services and Box Office. The role has 3 direct reports: Associate Director of Audience Services, Digital Marketing Manager and Marketing Coordinator.
Tafelmusik is one of the world’s leading period-instrument ensembles, performing on instruments and in styles appropriate for the era of the music. Renowned for dynamic, engaging, and soulful performances, Tafelmusik performs for audiences across Toronto and for digital audiences around the world*, and is Canada’s most-toured orchestra, having performed in more than 350 cities in 32 countries. The orchestra is often joined by the critically acclaimed Tafelmusik Chamber Choir.
Tafelmusik also seeks to transport audiences to the baroque and classical periods through insightful multimedia programs and adventurous cross-cultural collaborations. Our musicians share their knowledge and experience through comprehensive education and artist-training initiatives such as the Tafelmusik Baroque Summer Institute. Tafelmusik’s recordings on the Sony, CBC Records, Analekta, and Tafelmusik Media labels have garnered ten JUNOs and numerous international recording prizes.
Compensation: This is a full time position. Salary is commensurate with experience ranging from $80,000 to $90,000 per year. This is a hybrid position.
Start date: TBD
The Director of Marketing will direct all institutional, subscription, and single ticket marketing campaigns for Tafelmusik. In addition to leading strategy development and execution in the marketing department, this position will ensure a consistent organizational brand across and in collaboration with all departments.
Organizational Leadership & Strategy
- Project revenue and expenses, including management of the annual marketing budget
- Collaborate with internal departments to maximize opportunities for content creation, and provide opportunities for campaign input where appropriate—particularly with Artistic, Public Engagement, Development, and Audience Services departments
- Participate in long-range institutional planning as a pivotal member of the Senior Staff
- Lead, supervise, and continually participate in the professional development of the marketing & audience services team, which encompasses Digital Marketing Manager, Marketing Coordinator & Associate Director Audience Services who has management responsibility for Tafelmusik’s front of house team
- Manage out-of-house partner and vendor relationships, including:
- Graphic designer for creation of key and display advertising deliverables
- Public relations firm in support of earned media goals
- Videographer/editor for creation of production and campaign video content
- Campaigns support
- Develop and implement all short- and long-term institutional marketing plans
- Maintain a centralized marketing plan for use within the marketing team, and for communication to Executives and fellow Senior Staff
- Establish annual subscription and single ticket sales goals and regularly monitor seating inventory in collaboration with Associate Director of Audience Services to ensure that pricing and availability are in alignment with sales goals;
- Ensure that regular sales reporting for all campaigns is being distributed cross-departmentally, and is informing marketing and sales strategies
- Craft, execute, and build internal support for production single ticket campaigns, including activity across all paid, owned, and earned media channels
- Regularly adjust the marketing mix for Tafelmusik campaigns to ensure that reach and overall brand awareness are at a maximum, for both the productions and the company as a whole
- Regularly conduct and analyze audience and marketing research to assess audience engagement, understand demographic profiles and develop and implement appropriate audience development strategies, to continually ensure that Tafelmusik’s season of programming is reaching an audience representative and inclusive of Toronto
- Ensure that owned digital channels are consistently updated with quality content that reflects the latest organizational activities, events, and initiatives
- Establish partnerships with community organizations, businesses, and other stakeholders for ongoing cross-promotional collaboration
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will be a confident, strategic, collaborative, creative leader and problem-solver with at least 5 years of arts marketing experience (performing arts strongly preferred), including direct ticket sales and campaign management experience. This should include at least 3 years of experience managing direct-reports, and/or external vendors and consultants. This individual will bring an understanding of not-for-profit structure, an ability to build internal stakeholder relationships to support and advocate for marketing initiatives, and a comfort engaging and collaborating with artists in support of their work. Excellent writing/communication skills are required, and design experience is a plus.
Tafelmusik seeks team members with an eagerness to be an active participant in and meaningful contributor to our ongoing work on creating and nurturing a culture of belonging rooted in equity, diversity and inclusion and apply EDI principles to their scope of work.
Proof of vaccination and boosting against COVID-19 required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your cover letter (including how you heard about the position), resume, and two references to Daniela Nardi, Interim Executive Director at email@example.com with the subject: “Director of Marketing Posting.”
Application Deadline: September 22, 2022
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Tafelmusik is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in our working culture and in our community. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates of all cultures, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. We invite candidates who may require assistance during the application/ hiring process to let us know and we will work with them to meet their needs.